Thursday 31 August 2017

Back to nature...

The Ragazza had been staying with me for a week and we'd done the beach, swimming near the pink castle and lunch at Trégastel, and we'd visited the Valley of the Saints, and so a return visit to the zoo at Trégomeur seemed like a good option for a sunny but not-too-hot morning.

We've been before but the zoo has new residents and we like to revisit those we've seen before, and it's such a nice, relaxing and interesting place in which to hang out that we keep returning.

The zoo has an Asian theme for its flora and fauna, so there is a lot of bamboo, including this black variety which I have not seen before. I have bamboo in the top part of my garden, I had thought it might be too invasive and I would remove much of it but now I am re-thinking that and wondering ig I might cut and mould it to create hidden areas...  
 


 
Perhaps even my own mini version of the zoo's Eastern atmosphere...




Interestingly, I recently passed a large out-of-town store along the N12 that sells large statues of Buddha and some of the Hindu deities. If I could just recall where precisely it is...




I was at dinner with friends last night and we got to talking about religions and Ganesha was discussed because, whilst not being a follower of any particular faiths or creeds, I am spiritual and I do like to adopt aspects of many of the world's religions and this guy is one that I like.

He's a remover of obstacles, patron of the arts and sciences and the deva of intellect and wisdom.
I especially like to have obstacles sorted for me.




But what of the animals, you may be wondering?
Well, the albino porcupine was a tad tricky for one young father to explain to his toddler.
'Sans couleur?' I suggested, and that seemed to the point.




They'd just been given a lunch of pellets and were happily munching away so we were able to observe them at close quarters. Their ears are very human-like and they hold their lunch between their paws in the same way that Tashi holds a chewie.




The young camel seems to think he's part of the herd of wild horses that share his paddock.




We discussed whether we could train a wild horse. The sign on the fence stated that they are not able to be but we think it could be done, given time and patience and some Horse Whisperer skills.




They remind me of the horses on the walls of the caves at Lascaux.




The zoo is in a valley, that leads to some pretty vistas as you walk around.




And the streams that flow through add to the sense of serenity, as well as providing natural boundaries for some of the animals.




I think these would look good in my garden and I know just the place for them.








This stork was, I think, on guard duty. The rest of the flock were dozing, large beaks tucked into their backs, feathers like duvets covering their heads, snoring softly. Well, that's poetic licence, I didn't actually hear any snoring.




I thought that the ants were a new addition. The Ragazza thought otherwise. Regardless, I'd never seen them before, ants make me itchy, and twitchy, I'm not a great fan of Formicidae, not since a swarm of them flew into my house in England one hot summer day. And these look like ants in wasps' clothing.




A little plug
Palm oil is a problem




The zoo does a good job of educating people about ecology, conservation, endangered species.
It makes for tough reading sometimes but it does not good to remain ignorant.
N'est-ce pas?



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Your comments are welcome and appreciated